using pkg for postfix/spamassassin install

Arthur Chance freebsd at qeng-ho.org
Tue May 12 13:26:12 UTC 2015

On 12/05/2015 13:58, Christopher Sean Hilton wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2015 at 02:36:40PM -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>> Noel wrote:
>
> [ ...snip ... ]
>
>> During the pkg install postfix, it asks this question:
>> Would you like to activate Postfix in /etc/mail/mailer.conf [n]?
>> I just hit enter and took the NO default.
>>  From what you are saying I should have entered Y to that question.
>>

> Correct, you should have answered "yes" to this question. In addition,
> /etc/rc.conf has at least four variables that enable pieces of
> sendmail functionality. To ensure that I'm not running any part of
> sendmail, I make sure that all of them are set to "NO".
>
> Try:
>
>       $ grep "sendmail.*enable=" /etc/defaults/rc.conf
>
> To get a list.

Looking at /etc/rc.d/sendmail (under 10.1-R), if you set sendmail_enable
to "NONE", it will set all 4 variables to "NO" for you:

case ${sendmail_enable} in
[Nn][Oo][Nn][Ee])
         sendmail_enable="NO"
         sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
         sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
         sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
         ;;
esac

--
Those who do not learn from computing history are doomed to
GOTO 1