permissions and ownership of /usr/src

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Tue May 12 01:12:34 UTC 2015

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

> Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> writes:
>
>> On Sun, 10 May 2015 15:03:44 -0400, David Banning wrote:
>>> Can anyone tell me what the permissions - ownership are/should
>>> be for /usr/src ?
>>
>> /usr/src should belong to root:wheel and have rwxr-xr-x permissions
>> (those are the defaults). Does mergemaster indicate an error for
>> /usr/src itself or for a subdirectory thereof?

I was wondering about this too, e.g. is the permission error in /var/tmp/
when mergemaster is trying to create the temproot directory tree under
/var/tmp, and reflecting back through mergemaster when it fails. Somehow, I
don't really think it likely, as a time or two I've had a problem like this
mergemaster was very explicit about what was wrong.

> Or, if the bandwidth isn't a big deal, remove the whole tree and do a
> fresh "svn checkout". Or remove the directory where the error is
> happening, and do an "svn update".

Just something to mention in case anyone is interested: When I cd to
/usr/src and do rm -rf * it will delete everything except the hidden
directory .svn. Operation not permitted. In order to delete this internal
svn housekeeping directory one must first chflags -R noschg .svn

Then one can rm -rf .svn normally, and /usr/src will be truly empty. If
someone can blow away /usr/src without seeing the operation not permitted
error on the .svn directory, something is wrong with the flags under
/usr/src/.svn

[snip]

-Mike