c_rehash pgm missing from 10.1

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Mon May 11 20:11:29 UTC 2015

On 5/11/15 3:40 PM, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> Jon Radel wrote:
>> On 5/9/15 1:17 PM, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>>>        The real question is why is it not included in the base system?
>>>
>> Things might get better if you install source; I swear we discussed
>> that in one of the gazillion threads you've kicked off.  Or more
>> precisely, the fact that CA.pl is installed in /usr/src along with
>> other openssl utilities that come along with the base version of
>> openssl.
>>
>> --Jon Radel
>> jon at radel.com
>>
> Well I do install a fresh operating system from a .iso file every time
> a new RELEASE is published . Its my understanding that the RELEASE
> build is from a system maintained from source. So there is no reason
> for a .iso installed OS to be any different from  a OS installed from
> source.  If there is a difference then the RELEASE build method has a
> big problem.  Also missing is c_client and the CA.pl & CA.sh scripts
> from a base op install from a .iso cdrom.
Well, yes, the source of the FreeBSD operating system is indeed source
code.

That aside, I said "apples" and you said "but, ORANGES, ORANGES or it's
borked."  I am not a big fan of fruit salad.

So....

... to try again:

When you installed your shiny new FreeBSD off of an .iso image did you,
or did you not, request that source code be installed?  This would
control whether all the neat little bits of source code were installed
in /usr/src.  It turns out that the openssl utility scripts are among
those neat little bits.  So whether you have them or not depends on
whether you asked for them or not, quite irrespective of whether you
realized you were talking about them during install.  Specifically, when
choosing "optional system components" to install, did you add "src -
System source code" to what you installed?  Probably not, as you don't
have the files, it appears.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com