Postfix vulnarebility wrongly reported by pkg audit?

Terje Elde terje at elde.net
Sun May 10 09:07:04 UTC 2015

> On 10 May 2015, at 10:01, Marko Turk <markoml at markoturk.info> wrote:
>
> today my postfix-2.11.4,1 was marked as vulnerable by the pkg audit
> tool. But, when I go to the web pages the tool outputs it says that my
> version of postfix is not vulnerable (and that this vulnerabilities are
> from 2011).
>
> Is my version also vulnerable or is there an issue with version check?

I looked into this yesterday myself, and I’m pretty sure this is just an issue with the version check.

There was a commit yesterday which changed wildcards to zeroes for several ports, including postfix:
https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/security/vuxml/vuln.xml?r1=385815&r2=385864

The reason was that wildcards are not valid version-numbers, yet they do indeed seem valid for VuXML-version matching:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/porters-handbook/security-notify.html

My guess is that this leads to the versjon-check logic throwing up your version of postfix as a false positive.

I fired off an email to the committer of the change, but no word yet.  Just been a few hours though.

Terje