Can not make install misc/freebsd-doc-en : No file to patch error

Brandon Wandersee brandon.wandersee at zoho.com
Fri May 8 23:47:51 UTC 2015

On 05/08, Avinash Sonawane wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM, Avinash Sonawane <rootkea at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> In the past, whenever I encounter issues like this, I remove the
> >> offending directory and then run svnlite update. It will repopulate the
> >> removed directory with all the required files.
> >>
> >>  (1) cd /usr/ports
> >>  (2) rm -rf misc/freebsd-doc-en
> >>  (3) svnlite update
> >>  (4) cd misc/freebsd-doc-en
> >>  (5) make install clean
> >>
> >> Give it a shot. It might work for you.
> >
> > Ok. I'll try svnlite. But I am facing the same issue on x11/gnome3 too
> > as it also depends on qt4.
> > So will this solve x11/gnome3 issue too or do I have to rm and svnlite
> > x11/gnome3 as well?
>
> I am going to try svnlite on /usr/ports/net/qt4-network the offending port.

*Stop right there.* You shouldn't just update individual ports every time you
run into a problem, and you shouldn't mix ports trees fetched via Subversion and
Portsnap (it's unclear if that's what you're doing, but I mention it just in
case). If you're having trouble with one port after another you should just
delete your existing ports tree and start with a fresh ports tree using one
method or the other, either

`svnlite co https://svn0.<Subversion ports mirror>.freebsd.org /usr/ ports`

or

`portsnap fetch && portsnap extract`

Then try installing the ports you need. devel/qt4 would be the 5th or 6th port
you've been unable to build today, suggesting the problem goes beyond individual
ports.

--
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams