Unable to login to FreeBSD + xorg + xdm system

Rolf Nielsen rmg1970swe at gmail.com
Fri May 8 15:39:34 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-08 16:56, Avinash Sonawane wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 7:28 PM, Rolf Nielsen <rmg1970swe at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 2015-05-08 15:10, Avinash Sonawane wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I am using FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE. Today I installed x11/xorg
>>> and also x11/xdm and them made changes to /etc/ttys as
>>> instructed in the Handbook
>>> (https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/x-xdm.html#idp63498576)
>>>
>>> But now I am unable to login in the system. When I boot the
>>> system a big rectangle (xdm) pops up as a login screen and when
>>> I enter my credentials (username and password) it simply
>>> returns back (like the box got refreshed) and again asks for
>>> the credentials.
>>>
>>> No matter how many time I provide the credentials it simply
>>> pops up again and again.
>>>
>>> I tried with normal user account as well as root account.
>>>
>>> And now I am not able to login in the system at all. Please
>>> help.
>>>

>> Hit Ctrl + Alt + F1 to get to a console.
>
> I can't access any of the virtual terminals as well.
>
>> Log in as root, and check /var/log/Xorg.0.log, /var/log/xdm.log
>> and .xsession-errors in the home directory of the user you are
>> trying to log in to X as. Somewhere in one of those files
>> (probably .xsession-errors) there should be something that tells
>> you what is wrong.
>
> ~/.xsession-errors of both the users contains a single line saying
> "exec: /usr/local/bin/xsm: not found"

xsm is a session manager. It is not installed by default, as most
users will typically install a window manager or a desktop environment.

If you haven't already installed a window manager, you should. Have a
look in /usr/ports/x11-wm for a wide selection.

Once you have a window manager installed, create a file named
.xsession in your home directory. This file should be a script that
simply executes the window manager. It can also contain
initialisations, like the sh .profile script, e.g. environment
variables. Mine looks like this:

LANG=sv_SE.UTF-8;       export LANG

xscreensaver &
exec wmaker
xscreensaver-command -exit

To do all this, you will probably need to deactivate xdm, since you
can't access the virtual terminals while it is running, so start in
single user and edit /etc/ttys.

The inability to switch VT isn't something I can help you with. I've
never had that problem, so I haven't bothered finding out more about
it. However, I remember having seen posts about it on list once in
awhile, so it seems to be a problem that occurs every now and then.