Why does FreeBSD insist on https?

James Keener jim at jimkeener.com
Wed May 6 16:44:01 UTC 2015

There were a myriad of proposals for using things like starttls and
entity-body encryption (leaving the headers plain-text to aid in routing
and caching), but none of them caught on.

TLS creates an encrypted tunnel between you and who you're talking to.
While intermediate hops won't know the page you're looking for, they
will know the ip address, and with SNI, the hostname you're talking to.

Additionally, TLS-SRP (which I havn't yet seen in production
(semi-unfortunately) will show your user id in plain text as well.

Jim