postfix with TLS

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Sun May 3 16:13:28 UTC 2015

On 03/05/2015 16:52, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> pkg info postfix shows the TLS is enabled by default.
> I know what TLS is, but I don't know what this means to postfix.
>
> Does this mean that postfix has all the internal security library's
> compiled in and
> can function right out of the box as a email server communicating using
> TLS?

Yes.  This gives you the option that, subject to setting various
configuration flags and supplying SSL keys and certs, in any SMTP
dialogue, as a receiver postfix will offer 'STARTTLS' as an available
command, and as a sender it will invoke STARTTLS when the other side
offers it.  So all your e-mail should be encrypted over the wire.  I'm
not entirely sure why this is even considered optional in this day and
age...

	Cheers,

	Matthew