USB to serial adapter

Hans Ottevanger hans at beastielabs.net
Sun May 3 06:45:03 UTC 2015

On 05/03/15 01:57, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:
> On Sat, May 2, 2015 at 2:42 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 2 May 2015 16:55:00 +0200, Matthias Apitz wrote:
>>> I have an old VT100 terminal and want this connect to a laptop running
>>> FreeBSD which has only USB ports (just for fun to participate in some
>>> Vintage Computer Festival). Anybody knows a good adapter which works
>>> with our uplcom(4) driver?
>>
>> I'd be interested in that topic, too. I have the DEC vt101
>> which still works (tested with _real_ serial port), but
>> as serial ports are vanishing on desktops, and are being
>> nonexistent on laptops, this would be a nice recipe to
>> have in order to bring a piece of museum art back to life.
>>
>> Furthermore, I'd be interested if this approach will only
>> work for communication devices (serial terminal lines), or
>> if it can also be used for pointing devices (serial mice,
>> maybe even digitizer tablets).
>>

>> --
>> Polytropon
>> Magdeburg, Germany
>> Happy FreeBSD user since 4.0
>> Andra moi ennepe, Mousa, ...
>>

> http://www.amazon.com/Aten-Technologies-UC232A-Serial-Adapter/dp/B00006HNF6
>

> http://www.aten.com/products/productItem.php?model_no=UC232A#.VUVkL-RlAWM
>

> http://www.amazon.com/Digitus-DA-70156-Usb-Serial-Adaptor/dp/B0030IT780/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1430610687&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=Assmann+DA-70156
>

> http://assmann.us/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=11087
>

> These are defined as Linux compatible also among others ( without
> mentioning FreeBSD ) .
> I did not used any one of them .

We have had good experiences with the ATEN products using the uplcom(4)
driver on FreeBSD for the last 8 years or so. The only issue we had was
that connecting more than one of these adapters to the same machine
occasionally caused trouble (as I remember, because most of the adapters
shared the same USB ID).

We also connected serial ports of embedded devices to USB using adapter
cables based on an FTDI chip and those also worked great with the
uftdi(4) driver.

Kind regards,

Hans Ottevanger

Eindhoven, Netherlands