System based openssl

Michael Powell nightrecon at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 28 20:02:45 UTC 2015

Subscriber wrote:

> Hi.
> Witch version of system based OpenSSL last for FreeBSD 10.1?
>
> I have # uname -srm
> FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p8 amd64
>
> # freebsd-version -ku
> 10.1-RELEASE-p8
> 10.1-RELEASE-p8
>
> # /usr/bin/openssl version
> OpenSSL 1.0.1l-freebsd 15 Jan 2015

This is correct. This is what is currently in the system base.

> But  openssl.org says the last version OpenSSL in 1.0.1 tree is 1.0.1m
> (19-Mar-2015)

This would have to be imported into the system base. This involves developer
time and effort. It is not quite trivial.

There is also a newer OpenSSL in the ports tree. Version 1.0.2 if memory
serves. I have seen bugs and problem reports filed against the 1.0.2 so I
would be hesitant to just blindly 'install the port version' simply because
it's newer.

The FreeBSD devs do a pretty fair job at vetting what gets into the system
base, and the resulting maintenance issues which arise from time to time.
Trying to "outsmart" ones self with the delusion that I know more than they
do is how many go about creating their own problems.

> No OpenSSL files available during freebsd-update:
> # freebsd-update fetch
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 10.1-RELEASE from update4.freebsd.org...
> done. Fetching metadata index... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
>
> The following files will be updated as part of updating to
> 10.1-RELEASE-p8: /boot/kernel/kernel
>
> What is wrong?
> Thx.

My first impression is nothing is wrong. You have what you're supposed to
have. Other than that, I have never used freebsd-update so can't speak to
anything relevant to that.

-Mike