rc.conf configured jail not getting IP addresses

Matthew Pounsett matt at conundrum.com
Sat Mar 28 19:22:10 UTC 2015

I've been having some issues with ezjail and freebsd-update, so I decided to give a more basic jail setup a try.  I'm following the instructions in the handbook[1] for setting up a new jail, but seem to have run into an issue with jail startup and IP address assignment.

My host system is 9.3-RELEASE-p10.  My rc.conf looks like the following:
% grep jail /etc/rc.conf
jail_enable="YES"
jail_list="test"
jail_test_rootdir="/var/jail/test"
jail_test_hostname="redacted"
jail_test_ip="67.xxx.xxx.xxx,2001:xxxx::xxxx"
jail_test_devfs_enable="YES"

Startup of the jail takes a surprising amount of time .. about 30 seconds, but no errors are reported.
% time sudo service jail start test
Configuring jails:.
Starting jails: redacted.
sudo service jail start test  0.13s user 0.16s system 0% cpu 30.292 total

The jail starts, but no addresses are assigned to it.
% sudo jexec test tcsh
# ifconfig igb0
igb0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
	options=401bb<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,VLAN_HWTAGGING,JUMBO_MTU,VLAN_HWCSUM,TSO4,VLAN_HWTSO>
	ether d4:85:64:53:91:44
	status: active

Am I missing something here?  I've double checked the docs in the handbook, and it doesn't look like I've missed any steps up to this point.

[1]: <https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/jails-build.html>