Fwd: Possible (or smart) to put freebsd-boot on USB stick for root-on-ZFS?

Jason Birch jbirch at jbirch.net
Tue Mar 24 09:08:17 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 7:56 PM, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk
<m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 1:29 AM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Mar 2015 00:49:46 -0700, Mehmet Erol Sanliturk wrote:

While I appreciate the discussion this has generated, it's not quite
related to the questions I had around the freebsd-boot partition alone
being on some removable media, and I'd like to try and steer the
discussion back in that direction for my benefit (obviously ;)) and
for the benefit of anyone trawling the lists looking for a similar
answer.

For the record, this will be for a reasonably large ZFS file server,
and so having things like the home directories live on the larger ZFS
volume (and not the mirrored SSDs) is something I'll probably be
doing. However, it's more about the partitioning and device
arrangement once the machine has booted, and that's not quite what I'm
having difficulties understanding.

I will, of course, be trying these things out myself on the weekend.
But I'm also hoping for some experiences from those who have tried, or
who know the innards of freebsd-boot enough to know without trying,
such a set up.

Thanks, and sorry for being a downer,
JB