Un-kill-able process hang at umtxpi state with 100% cpu

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Mar 23 18:50:34 UTC 2015

On 2015/03/23 18:14, BBlister wrote:
> Following an advice from a user of this list,
> I did a
>
> kill -STOP 35662
>
> in order to minimize the CPU consumption
>
> and as soon as I hit enter the process disappeared (died). I had already
> killed its parent, but
> it was not possible to kill this process. By sending the STOP signal it was
> killed.

Are you sure?  STOP usually does exactly what it says on the tin.  It's
like Ctrl-Z in the shell.  You can in theory use 'kill -CONT pid' to
wake the process up again.

If the process died from a SIGSTOP it must be because there were other
pending signals that could somehow be delivered once the process was
stopped, but that strikes me as pretty odd.

	Cheers,

	Matthew