FreeBSD recommends not using base unbound for an authoritative server

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 16:25:40 UTC 2015

Poly,

Thank you for your thorough response.

On Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 5:02 PM, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:
>> - infrequent updates
>
> What does "infrequent" mean?

What I was referring to here was:

I subscribe to freebsd-announce, which as I'm sure you know, sends out
an email whenever the OS changes.  It explains why it changed, who is
affected, etc.  These emails (and their associated software releases)
are "infrequent" in that I get them less than once per month.  I
imagine they are infrequent because of the quality of the software in
the base OS and not because the OS team is slow an lazy. (although you
point out that RELEASE updates are delayed and could leave my system
vulnerable... this is scary...)

Compare this to the ports tree.  I do not get emails whenever there is
a change to the ports tree, but I imagine if I did the emails would
arrive more frequently than ~1/month and I imagine they would not be
chock full of info about the changes, why they were made, who is
affected, etc.

That being said... I am eager to learn more about the tool you
mentioned: pkg audit.  Sounds like it provides an approximation to the
freebsd-announce messages.... but for the ports vs the base os.

Chris