FreeBSD recommends not using base unbound for an authoritative server

Chris Stankevitz chrisstankevitz at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:32:20 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 4:29 PM, Jungle Boogie <jungleboogie0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I use unbound from base _only_ at home for recursive DNS stuff. If I were to
> make it authoritative for a domain, I'd use ports or packages because they
> are updated more frequently over what's it base.

Mr. Boogie,

Thank you for your reply.  Are you referring to security?  Is this the
is a correct interpretation of what you are saying:

"In general, the FreeBSD base software is untrustworthy because it is
infrequently updated.  Someone who is interested in security should
avoid the FreeBSD base packages and use ports wherever possible."

Thank you,

Chris