pkg delete --no-recursive

Matthew Seaman matthew at freebsd.org
Fri Mar 13 08:50:00 UTC 2015

On 03/13/15 08:27, Olivier Nicole wrote:
> How to tell pkg delete to remove only *this* package and not all the
> ones that depends on it.

pkg delete -f pkgname

> There is a --recursive option, but it is applied by default and I don't
> see how to disable it.
>
> My goal is to remove perl5.14 in order to install perl5.20. All other
> packages that depend on perl5.14 will be rebuild afterward, so the
> dependecy will be updated accordingly.
>
> But in no case I want to delete all packages depending on perl, I *do*
> need them.

The best way to do a perl5.14 to perl5.20 upgrade is by simply upgrading
from a package repo with all the perl stuff built against perl5.20.
Works like a charm, and only reinstalls the necessary stuff.

Trying to work out all this dependency stuff by hand tends to be
error-prone, tedious and leave your system in a bit of a mess.

	Cheers,

	Matthew