Num Lock goes off when entering X session

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Mar 7 18:48:35 UTC 2015

I'd like to ask for explanation and advice regarding an observation
that I made across XFree86 and X.org sessions: When my system boots
up, the Num Lock LED is activated (and the Num mode is on, as hereby
suggested). Then I enter XDM and log in. As soon as the "real" X
session starts, Num Lock goes off, and it needs to be manually
reactivated. This also happens when I log off, re-enter XDM, log in
again - and Num Lock goes off again.

Does it have to be that way? And when yes, then why?

Is there a way to switch Num Lock on via ~/.xinitrc, or tell X
to not change it?

NB: I'm using a regular keyboard (IBM Model M) and have to use
the numeric block quite often. So this is an issue for me...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany