How to set hostname for a machine intended to become company's mail server ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 6 08:45:52 UTC 2015

Hi,

I am setting a FreeBSD 10.1 (amd64) machine for a company. This machine
is to provide all important services including a mail server and
printing services. The company's mail service is currently hosted by an
external provider, who also looks after DNS.

At installation time, I set the machine name to
roundabout.freebsd10dot1.amd64

When I starting work on setting up a mail server (yet to choose from
Postfix/Qmail), I thought it would be better to change the hostname to
freebsd10dot1.roundabout.com

When I did this and rebooted, I found that the X server fails to start.
There are some lines in /var/log/Xorg.log complaining about invalid
configuration in xorg.conf.d, but nothing much more except for a few
control characters like Ctrl-O and Ctrl-B

What could be the problem here ?

--
Regards
Manish Jain