Is there any plan to adopt devtmpfs ?

Manish Jain bourne.identity at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 5 15:39:18 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I love FreeBSD, and a lot of people whom I have shown my box to have
taken a fancy. It was with a lot of expectation that I downloaded and
installed freebsd-10.1-i386. The system was likable enough, till I found
a lot of hardware would not work - my canon printer gets detected in
dmesg, but cups cannot locate any local printer; my APC UPS is able to
perform a self test but is unable to shut down the system in case of a
power outage on account of some communication failure re battery levels;
and finally my keyboard stops responding. All these are USB devices, and
I for some time believed that there might some problem with the USB stack.

Just for kicks, I decided to try Linux to see if my stuff works. On
Debian 7.8, neither the printer works nor does the UPS. However, with
Ubuntu 14.10 the printer detection and installation was a cinch. I did
not test the UPS, but I am sure that would have worked too - but the
Unity desktop is too painful for me to verify this fully.

The one thing I noticed about Ubuntu 14.10 is that it uses a lot of
virtual filesystems, headed by devtmpfs. Is it possible that a lot of
hardware that currently is not working smoothly on FreeBSD will liven up
simply by migrating one step ahead of devfs ? If yes, is there a
possibility that we might be getting devtmpfs in 10.2/11.x ?

Thanks &

--
Regards,

Manish Jain