'pkg upgrade' wants to install php56

Mike Clarke jmc-freebsd2 at milibyte.co.uk
Mon Mar 2 09:43:05 UTC 2015

On Sun, 01 Mar 2015 17:44:05 -0800
David Newman <dnewman at networktest.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your responses. Please note that I'm asking about pkg on
> systems that don't have a ports tree, so also no UPDATING file.

Here's the relevant bit of /usr/ports/UPDATING

20150220:
  AFFECTS: users of PHP

  The default PHP version has been updated from 5.4 to 5.6.

  If you use binary packages you should make a list of php packages
  before running 'pkg upgrade':

  # pkg info php5\* > ~/installed-php-ports-list

  After the upgrade, check with such list if all your php extensions
  are still installed, and reinstall them if needed.

Even if you had a copy of UPDATING "pkg updating" would not have shown
it, probably because the "AFFECTS" linr doesn't match lang/php.

Unfortunately following the instructions didn't fix the problem for me.
When I ran "pkg upgrade" it just bailed out when it found the first
conflict,

My solution was to make a list of my php5 packages as above and then
delete them all:

curlew:/root# cat ~/installed-php-ports-list | xargs pkg delete -fy

If you have mod_php5 installed you will need to use pkg delete to
remove it separately because the pkg info command won't have
picked it up for inclusion in ~/installed-php-ports-list.

Then go ahead with pkg upgrade.

If you previously had php5*-extensions installed run "pkg install
php56-extensions" after the upgrade,

Now run "pkg info php5\*" and compare the results against
your copy of ~/installed-php-ports-list to determine if any further
extensions require installing.

--
Mike Clarke