Sendmail: SMTP auth and smart host?

Christian Weisgerber naddy at mips.inka.de
Tue Jun 30 19:05:09 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-29, Björn Heidotting <b.heidotting at web.de> wrote:

> Do you have support for SMTP-AUTH compiled into sendmail?
>
> Check with: sendmail -d0.1 -bv postmaster | grep -i sasl

No, I'm using the stock FreeBSD 10 sendmail, so I don't have SASL
support compiled in.

I was under the impression that SASL support was only required for
server side SMTP authentication, but looking over
  src/contrib/sendmail/src/usersmtp.c
I see that I was mistaken.

Well, that explains it.  Pity that this requires a port.

> I also have the following in my .mc file:
>
> FEATURE(`authinfo', `hash /etc/mail/auth/client-info')dnl

As far as I can tell, FEATURE(authinfo) only splits out the client
side authentication information into a separate map.  Otherwise,
you can just put it into the access database, assuming you have
FEATURE(access_db).

Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          naddy at mips.inka.de