Is there something wrong with forums.freebsd.org?

Ian Smith smithi at nimnet.asn.au
Fri Jun 26 13:35:39 UTC 2015

In freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 577, Issue 5, Message: 20
On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 19:01:44 -0600 (MDT) Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:

 > >> It is the browser, not the operating system. Unless you have an
 > >> unpatched openSSL, maybe.
 > >
 > > OK, where does curl fit into that then? Presumably all the versions I have
 > > access to are too old I guess.
 >
 > There was a problem curl linking to both the base and ports version of
 > openssl not too long ago, and consequently breaking other applications.

Sorry, been away, just catching up a bit ..

This seems likely because Quartz' curl (or the way it's setup) doesn't
support TLS 1.1 or 1.2 for https connections, which forums.freebsd.org
now requires, to gain higher security rankings and favour from google.

There was a long and probably considered off-topic thread during May on
freebsd-security@ about it, in which I was silly enough to participate
because my (ok, ancient) SeaMonkey can no longer connect to the forums.

Skim thread 'Forums.FreeBSD.org - SSL Issue?' for the gory details:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-security/2015-May/008350.html

cheers, Ian