getting ports updated on an older FreeBSD (5.1)

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Tue Jun 23 09:29:14 UTC 2015

On 23/06/2015 17:29, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
> Am 22.06.2015 um 18:09 schrieb andrew clarke:
>> On Mon 2015-06-22 12:20:08 UTC+0200, Christoph Kukulies
>> (kuku at physik.rwth-aachen.de) wrote:
>>
>>> I'm running a somewhat come into age server under FreeBSD 5.1 at the
>>> moment and I'm in need to update to php5. Trying to install php-5.0.0
>>> in ports results in an error message
>>>
>>> fetch:
>>> http://www.t.ring.gr.jp/archives/net/www/php/distributions/php-5.0.0.tar.bz2:
>>>
>>> Not Found
>> You'll probably need to download php-5.0.0.tar.bz2 manually and move
>> it to /usr/ports/distfiles/.
>
> Although you may be right with regard to obsoleteness of 5.0.0 and my
> 5.1 version in general,
> I'm wondering whether it would be possible to
> run a 10.1 executable under 5.1 (possible link it statically?).

No. The other way works, newer systems have compatibility layers to
support old binaries but an old system won't run a new binary.

> At the moment I'm urgently in need to update an intranet forum (pbpBB3) to
> a 3.1.5 version and this requires a newer (>= 5.3.3) version of php.

Well FBSD 5.1 was released in June 2003 and 5.5 in May 2006 so ports
support for the 5.x branch could have stopped as early as the middle
of 2008

If you go to http://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports and set the sticky
revision you can look through what was available at that time.

A couple of quick svn searches shows that rev 21000 was in march 2008
but I'm not sure of the versions, both www/mod_php4 and mod_php5 use
distfiles of php-4.0b2

Pick a revision around that time that has a versions you want, checkout
a copy and try building, as url's change you may need to manually
download the files you need, you should find the main sites have older
versions that mirrors no longer keep.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler