Script question

Lt. Commander listmgr at antennex.com
Mon Jun 22 00:56:28 UTC 2015

To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: Script question

Polytropon wrote:
> Or if you want to omit the grep call:
>
> awk '/spam=YES/ {print $11}' /var/log/maillog | sort | uniq | sed -e
> 's/^.*=//' > /tmp/spam-ip.txt
>
> And then continue:
>
> cat /tmp/spam-ip.txt >> /usr/samba/mail/envelope cat /tmp/spam-ip.txt
> | mail -s "SPAM IPs...." us.navy at outlook.com
>
> Finally, you can easily remove /tmp/spam-ip.txt.

You could even take this one step further and eliminate the need for a
temporary file altogether by making use of tee(1):

    awk '/spam=YES/ {print $11}' /var/log/maillog |
    sort |
    uniq |
    sed -e 's/^.*=//' |
    tee -a /usr/samba/mail/envelope |
    mail -s "SPAM IPs...." us.navy at outlook.com

Patrick

Hi list!

The script guys were very helpful in smoothing out my sh shell script and it
with other script calls are doing the job I needed.

BUT! I took the snippet below to use as an "yes/no" intro to one of the
calls. It must have aged as is because it complains about badly placed "()s"
right near the top of the intro and I suspect it won't agree with another
line further down either.

Perhaps a hint from the experts as to how to change the problem?

Thank you!

Jason