GCC question

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Sat Jun 20 15:25:01 UTC 2015

I have gcc 4.8 installed on this system. I notice a slight newer version
available, specifically referencing AMD64, which this box is:

[root at kabini1, /etc, 10:15:12am] 630 % uname -a
FreeBSD kabini1.local 9.3-RELEASE-p13 FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p13 #0: Tue
Apr  7 03:01:12 UTC 2015
root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
[root at kabini1, /etc, 10:15:15am] 631 % grep -i gcc LIST.installed.txt
gcc-4.8.4_3                    GNU Compiler Collection 4.8
gcc-ecj-4.5                    Eclipse Java Compiler used to build GCC Java
[root at kabini1, /etc, 10:19:39am] 632 % grep -i gcc LIST.available.txt
amd64-gcc-4.9.2_1
amd64-xtoolchain-gcc-0.1

I only use ports for the flash library, however I am wondering if there
might be any performance improvement in recompiling some stuff locally,
possibly with a compiler tuned/optimized for AMD64. Is that
amd64-gcc-4.9.2.1 such an animal ? Is it stable/solid/fully tested &
functional, or an alpha or beta version ? Binary compatible w/ packages
from pkg ? I normally maintain *everything* on this box (except for
flash support) using pkg (old Convex/SGI habits die hard, plus *much*
quicker updates), however I am sporadically curious if there might be
any performance to be picked up in locally compiling stuff, possibly
including the kernel. This box is a quad-core jaguar-kabini based CPU &
is not (yet) supported for acceleration under X11, but maybe other stuff
might speed up some, who knows. TIA & have a good one ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III