daily cron emails

Matthew Seaman matthew at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 19 20:43:53 UTC 2015

On 19/06/2015 21:06, Ernie Luzar wrote:
> I added this line to /etc/crontab on a Tuesday
>
> 15 1  * * * root sa-update && service sa-spamd restart
>
> and got the normal daily 2 security emails. But with the weekly security
> emails I also got a separate email about the new command I added. From
> that point on, I am also getting that email on a daily bases.
>
> Is this normal behavior?

Yeah.  You're not meant to futz with /etc/crontab.  Instead, as root run:

   crontab -u root -e

and then enter the line:

   15 1  * * * sa-update && service sa-spamd restart

(note: no 'root' as the 6th field).

Or you could just install the mail/sa-utils port which gets you a
periodic job to run sa-update along with all the other periodic stuff.

	Cheers,

	Matthew