ZFS in a VM?

Raimund Sacherer rs at logitravel.com
Tue Jun 16 07:13:43 UTC 2015

> Good morning. You don’t want to go start mucking with sysctl level things
> until you have identified issues. Each installation is different, especially
> inside a VM. For example, ours are not VMWare based and probably perform
> totally differently at the level ZFS uses. Try a stock install and see what
> issues you run up against.

Good morning to you to :-)

Yeah, I thought there may be some recommended tuneables for ZFS in a virtualised setting. I read about problems with ARC cache size on low memory / low free memory systems which could lead to a panic if the ARC size grows to some kernel memory limit, so restricting the ARC cache size may be needed. But you are right, it seems I just have to throw myself in to the water and find out if I can swim.

Thank you,
Best
Ray