best options for a *WORKING* MTA

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 20:00:09 UTC 2015

On 01/06/2015 17:48, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> I have tried every which way I can find in the handbook and/or on the net
> to get a working mail server and the best I can do get the default sendmail
> to answer on localhost only (postfix seems to be completely broken).
> Where can I find a good *SIMPLE* set of instructions on how to set up a
> working mail server to accept mail for my domain?

I've skimmed through this thread, and at the risk of getting mixed up in
a long-running holy between MTAs, I have to say that sendmail may be old
and clunky, but it chugs along and is standard; you need a reason to
deviate from a standard and you haven't articulated one for your
requriements. I'm surprised you're having difficult running it because
over many years I've always found it to work "out of the box."

Rather than going off with other MTAs, no one seems to be wondering why
you're getting to it via the loopback interface not the external. Have
you considered whether it is able to bind to the external address?

For example, are you starting sendmail BEFORE the external address is
configured? No address, nothing to bind to and they symptoms you describe.

Whatever you problem, it's probably something trivial like this, because
sendmail does, most definitely, work.

Regards, Frank.