jails

Frank Leonhardt frank2 at fjl.co.uk
Mon Jun 8 19:16:13 UTC 2015

On 07/06/2015 14:55, Baho Utot wrote:

> I have FreeBSD 10.1 and trying to setup a jail according to the handbook:
>

>    15.3. Creating and Controlling Jails
>
> |#|  *|setenv D/|/staorage/jails/crochet|/|*
> |#|  *|mkdir -p $D|*
> |#|  *|cd /usr/src|*
> |#|  *|make buildworld|*
> |#|  *|make installworld DESTDIR=$D|*
> |#|  *|make distribution DESTDIR=$D|*
> |#|  *|mount -t devfs devfs $D/dev|*

Your question has already been answered, but you might also like to know...

The make buildworld stuff isn't strictly necessary, but it's always
documented that way for some reason. I believe running buildworld from
time to time is somehow good for the soul.

In reality you can just copy all the files from a working FreeBSD
installation in to the directory of your choice, call it an jail and it
will probably run quite happily, assuming its binary compatible. This is
fantastically useful. If you do build a "clean" installation as above,
tar it before you run it so you can (a) restore it if you make a mess
inside the jail; (b) make a extra jail VMs quickly. You can also clone a
jail simply by copy the directory and adding an appropriate config file
entry.

Regards, Frank.