Many core dumps in pthread_getspecific - how to debug?

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Wed Jun 3 08:48:09 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015 09:09:43 +0200
ortadur at web.de wrote:

>    I'm new to FreeBSD, and it looks nice so far. There is just one

welcome!

> thing which bugs me. I'm getting a lot of core dumps in many different
>    programmes like Xorg, vim, firefox, ... and looking into the

There must be something else wrong.

>    FreeBSD andre 10.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p10 #0: Wed
> May 13 06:54:13 UTC 2015
>    root at amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
> amd64

Can you get the sources and compile your own FreeBSD? Your description
does not match my experience by any standards. The only problem that
often leads to crashes are lost devices. With other words, you mount a
device via USB and the connection gets lost (unplugged).

>    It's running on real hardware, it's not a VM.

This should not matter.

>    And now the questions:
>    What do I have to do to debug this and get rid of this bug?
>    Whom do I need to send those debug infos?

Try first the source. The best mailing list for this should be 'stable'
as it targets only the stable versions like yours.

Erich