Upgrading libvpx demands bash

Alexandre Labarre alexandre_ml at outlook.fr
Tue Jun 2 12:59:26 UTC 2015

> Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 13:35:23 +0200
> From: scaglione.francesco at neuf.fr
> To: alexandre_ml at outlook.fr
> Subject: Re: Upgrading libvpx demands bash
>
> ---
> On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 13:23:22 +0200
> Alexandre Labarre <alexandre_ml at outlook.fr> wrote:
>

> > > Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2015 12:17:40 +0200
> > > From: scaglione.francesco at neuf.fr
> > > To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> > > Subject: Upgrading libvpx demands bash
> > >
> > > After a portmaster -L I see that I need to upgrade libvpx, but now
> > > that brings in bash:
> > >
> > > # portmaster libvpx
> > >
> > > ===>>> The following actions will be taken if you choose to proceed:
> > > 	Upgrade libvpx-1.3.0 to libvpx-1.3.0_1
> > > 	Install shells/bash
> > >
> > > I'm using a very small server (FreeBSD 8.4, amd64) and I would like
> > > to avoid adding the bash port, if possible.
> > >
> > > But maybe I cannot avoid it, can I?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Francesco
> >
> > Hi Francesco,
>
> Hi Alexandre,
>
> thanks for your reply.
>
> > shells/bash is required as buid dependencies for libvpx.
>
> But it was not the case before, since I had libvpx installed but not
> bash.
>
> > But why not use PKG (NG) to just install pre-compiled package?
>
> Do you mean that using packages instead of ports I wouldn't need
> bash?
>
> I like to use ports because I can keep the server up-to-date very
> quickly, whereas it's not yet clear to me how often the packages are
> updated. I'm thinking about basic stuff as php5 and nginx, for
> example, that should always be in the most recent version for security
> reasons.
>
> Take care,
> Francesco

Francesco,

shell/bash is marked as required for build libvpx. I checked here http://www.freshports.org/multimedia/libvpx/
But it do not seems to be required to run.

Packages are built once per week for the moment (every Wednesday if I remember well). This may change in the future.
If you have others servers, you can build you own environment build packages with Poudriere https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-poudriere.html

Kind regards.
Alexandre