Virtualization on FreeBSD

Terje Elde terje at elde.net
Thu Jul 30 12:56:01 UTC 2015

On 30. juli 2015, at 14:29, "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam at hiwaay.net> wrote:

> Can jails run non-native guests/VM's (M$FT, for example) ? I thought I saw something about this online a while back, but haven't been able to re-acquire it .... I'm on 9.3R-p20, BTW ....

Jails are not - and this is the good part - virtualization. It's a way of compartmentalizing so you can have multiple FreeBSD installs in different jails, or even just single programs.

For web for example, I'll often run webservers in one jail, and database server in another, to get a degree of isolation between them.

It's not really intended to solve running another operating system, though you might be able to run some linux binaries in a jail.

Terje