Ulpt problems.

Bernt Hansson bah at bananmonarki.se
Fri Jul 24 02:28:41 UTC 2015

On 2015-07-24 03:04, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> from Bernt Hansson:
>
>> How do I disable ulpt? It's not in the generic kernel so can't disable it
>> there.
>> In /boot/loader.conf I have ulpt_load="NO" But that does not help it's still
> loaded.
>
>> kldunload ulpt don't help either it keeps coming back.
>> I need to disable it so I can use hplip.
>>  From hplip pkg-message;
>> "HPLIP expects printers to be attached as a ugen(4) devices.  This
>> means that you must NOT have "device ulpt" in your kernel and ulpt
>> must NOT be loaded as a kernel module"
> I remember this from the recent past but don't see this message now, in either the FreeBSD ports version or NetBSD pkgsrc version.
>
> For FreeBSD, I made a directory /boot/modules-toxic and moved the ulpt stuff there.
>
> FreeBSD still couldn't find the printer.  Neither could NetBSD with ulpt commented out in kernel config.
>
> FreeBSD and NetBSD printing setup couldn't find the printer even when I gave the USB address.
>
> Now I intend to try again, using ulpt, for both FreeBSD and NetBSD.
>
> I finally got the printer to print, early June 13, 2015, from NetBSD using Ethernet connection, and a newer .ppd file not yet in pkgsrc.
>
> NetBSD couldn't find the printer normally but saw it when I gave the IP address.
>
> I think that might work with FreeBSD too, but haven't tested it yet.
>
> My printer is HP LaserJet Professional M1212nf MFP.
>
> Tom
It seems that one needs ulpt, otherwise the printer isn't found.
So I added to /boot/loader.conf ulpt_load="YES" then the printer is
found by cups and hplip.

But I do not want to use cups so I deinstalled it. Cups can't print a
testpage so I resorted to lpd.
Which can't print anything, so back to cups that too can't print
anything. So I'm stuck.

Printer is HP laserjet P2055d