a couple of minor but annoying issues: mate-terminal and firefox

David Benfell benfell at parts-unknown.org
Thu Jul 23 01:11:22 UTC 2015

Hi all,

Google is not being my friend. This is a very recent install of
FreeBSD 10.1, now on STABLE, so really:

10.2-BETA2
FreeBSD home-desktop.parts-unknown.org 10.2-BETA2 FreeBSD 10.2-BETA2
#0 r285670: Sat Jul 18 11:16:52 PDT 2015
root at home-desktop:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I prefer the mate desktop environment.

There are behaviors that I prefer on previous installations that for
some reason are different on this one. And I have no idea what to do
to fix this. Worse, I don't feel like I'm doing a good job of asking
my questions, but here goes:

First, mate-terminal keeps coming up with a default encoding of ASCII.
I want UTF-8. Desperately. The menu option is there and works, but the
default is wrong. I don't ever want ASCII. I always want UTF-8. Having
to remember to change this every single time is annoying.

Second, control-K in Firefox is supposed to be a shortcut to the
search text field. This is working much less reliably than before.
Again, I haven't a clue--and can't find one--on how to make this
behavior more consistent.

Thanks!
--
David Benfell <benfell at parts-unknown.org>