limiting find(1) in /etc/periodic scripts

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Mon Jul 20 09:40:40 UTC 2015

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 04:10:09 -0500, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      What is the best way to keep find(1) in the various /etc/periodic
> scripts from descending into certain directories?

If I remember correctly, find will only descend into directories
that have the o+rx attribute (readable by everyone). If you do
not want a subtree to be searched, make sure it's +rx for the
owner and +rx for the group, as well as +w where needed, usually
+rwx for the user. A typical setting then is drwxr-x--- for such
directories.

There is another problem:

Directories such as /root should not be searched. The problem
is that there will be an additional information leak, like

	$ locate system_secrets
	/root/system_secrets.txt

And if "descriptive" file names (including names, locations,
ID numbers, etc.) are involved, well...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany