64-bit linux emulation

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Thu Jul 16 19:54:09 UTC 2015

On 07/16/15 14:46, Warren Block wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2015, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:

>>> Hello William,
>>>
>>> Looks like it's coming along, according to this Quarterly Report:
>>>
>>> https://www.freebsd.org/news/status/report-2014-10-2014-12.html#Linux-Emulation-Layer,-the-Linuxulator
>>>
>>> And there are commits referencing the "64-bit Linuxulator" in svn,
>>> so you might have some support in 11-CURRENT?
>>>
>>> https://reviews.freebsd.org/search/query/N4Nlb6bNTrwA/#R
>>>
>>> Hope that helps answer your question. =)
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Lacey
>>

>> Hmmmmm .... well, sorta, I presume they would be back-ported to 9.3R,
>> since that's what I'm running ....
>
> VirtualBox works well on 10-STABLE, provided you accept the default
> virtual hardware.  On 10.1, too, I think.  Do you have something that
> needs an old version of FreeBSD?

That's what I installed when I built the box, website said supported
through end of 2016, which I liked. I found some online references back
then which were not overly flattering about clang vs. gcc, much (50+ %)
slower compiled code, other issues, so I went with 9.3R. I was & am
looking for stability & as much performance as I can get out of my
puny-ish (AMD sempron 3850) CPU & gfx. Different versions of VBox on 10
vs. 9.3R ?

--

	William A. Mahaffey III