64-bit linux emulation

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Thu Jul 16 19:20:33 UTC 2015

On 07/16/15 12:04, jd1008 wrote:

> On 07/16/2015 09:59 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
>>

>> How is progress on this ? Handbook still says linux 64-bit binaries
>> not supported, hopefully out of date :-) ....
>>

> Hi Bill,
> if this turns out to be anything like Wine,
> (not meaning to diss wine - but it does have severe limitations),
> then it might not be so worth the effort.
>
> Since we are on the subject of emulation, why not just use Virtual Box
> in which to run Linux 64 bit?

I tried v-box early last fall & had fairly severe issues (crashed the
whole machine) trying to run a 32-bit WinXP VM, so I kinda gave up on
it. There have been *many* updates since then, maybe I should go back.
If I understand things correctly, emulation *should* be a bit simpler to
implement, & *seems* to be up & going under NetBSD, although I have yet
to verify that 1st hand. I do have a QEMU 32-bit WinXP VM setup & mostly
running, using qemu-devel, so I could try that as well. I may revisit
v-box or QEMU, & I will verify what is going on under NetBSD, since I
have a newly commissioned 64-bit NetBSD 6.1.5 server up & running. No
huge issue, I was just curious about any possible progress on that
capability. Thanks :-).

--

	William A. Mahaffey III