tar: Damaged tar archive, Retrying...

Nikos Vassiliadis nvass at gmx.com
Mon Jul 13 23:40:50 UTC 2015

On 07/13/15 23:57, Polytropon wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 20:40:02 +0300, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am currently using tar to copy some very files to another host and
>> got this:
>>> tar: Damaged tar archive
>>> tar: Retrying...
>>> tar: Damaged tar archive
>>> tar: Retrying...
>>> tar: Damaged tar archive
>>> tar: Retrying...
>>> tar: Damaged tar archive
>>> tar: Retrying...
>>> tar: Damaged tar archive
>>
>> The copy is done using tar|nc and nc|tar on the receiving host.
>> This looks like a bug and I wonder whether the copy is OK.
>
> Create a checksum list on the source and the target machine,
> them compare both. This should give you a good overview of
> the files to be identical.

For sure a checksum will do that. I am lucky that the system has an
SSD, those files are huge. Results:
   Two out of three files are OK. One was removed, maybe the one
   that printed out the warnings.

This is definitely something that should be further investigated:)

> Furthermore: Are you using compression? If yes: Is it using
> the same compression libraries on both sides? (Just a guess,
> it should not have to matter...)

No, I am not using compression. Just tar.

I am very curious regarding this.