set desktop environment offline

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat Jul 11 23:23:11 UTC 2015

On Sat, 11 Jul 2015, Polytropon wrote:

> On Sat, 11 Jul 2015 21:05:05 +0530, arnab bhowmick wrote:
>> Hi gays I have 2 laptops both with free BSD 10.1 . One with GNOME and other
>> with KDE desktop environment. Now is there any process which I can do to
>> crate a backup of these desktop environment in CD or pen drive? Which I can
>> use to install to re-install these environment in offline mode or more
>> clearly without Internet??
>
> There are two main methods supported by the OS: One is the 1:1 copy
> mechanism using dd, the other one is the "classic" method of using
> dump + restore (which requires a little preparation of the target
> disk).
>
> You can find both of them explained here:
>
> http://www.wonkity.com/~wblock/docs/html/backup.html
>
> Note that if your target machine is technically different from your
> source machine, you might have to do some changes after the transfer,
> such as a different GPU, different sound hardware and things like
> that. And setting another hostname will also be a good idea. :-)

Later versions of Clonezilla (http://clonezilla.org/) can efficiently
back up FreeBSD UFS filesystems.  Unfortunately, the last time I tried
it, it dimwittedly did a binary copy of the entire unnecessary content
of swap partitions.  If that could be fixed, it would be relatively fast
and convenient.  Maybe delete the swap partitions before backup and
manually recreate them on the newly-restored machine.  Or possibly
create them automatically in rc.local.