Microsoft Now OpenBSD Foundation Gold Contributor

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Fri Jul 10 19:24:59 UTC 2015

On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 12:30:27 -0600, jd1008 wrote:
> A friend of mine commented about this to me:
>
> "[...]
> I've always wondered whether consumer hardware / embedded devices would
> start migrating over to BSD, since GPL compliance is such a hassle for
> many vendors.  Obviously Android went this way several years ago."

Due to the licensing terms of the BSDL, we will never really
find out how many embedded devices (routers, home alarm systems,
crypto applicances, entertainment solutions and so on) already
contain a BSD operating system at their heart. The vendor is
not forced to tell anyone that they're using a BSD, and they
do not make their source code public. It can therefore contain
backdoors, spyware, and other means of invading user privacy.
Unlike the GPL which somewhat requires "contributing back",
the BSDL does not do so. So it's a perfectly viable basis for
building a closed-source product that caters the government,
the security organisations and the "market" more than its
buyers and users.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany