Microsoft Now OpenBSD Foundation Gold Contributor

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 18:23:48 UTC 2015

On 07/10/2015 12:03 PM, Jerry wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Jul 2015 12:25:47 -0500 (CDT), Valeri Galtsev stated:

>>> Probably is related to:
>>>
>>> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20150603090420
>> With all my scepticism I would more consider that as an excuse, implying
>> the reason may be something like this:
>>
>> http://slashdot.org/story/10/12/15/004235/FBI-Alleged-To-Have-Backdoored-OpenBSDs-IPSEC-Stack
>>
>> (I didn't say exactly this, I said something like this...) So, I'm
>> actually quite happy they didn't choose FreeBSD ;-)
>
> Sorry but that is impossible. Many eyes makes FOSS software invulnerable to
> this sort of attack? Or, at least that is what fools like to believe. Say any
> lie enough times and some moron will believe it.

+1

The fact is that there are NOT that many "expert and fully knowledgeable"
eyes reviewing open source. The sheer volume of open source makes that task
virtually impossible. Most reviewers have real jobs to pay the bills. They
would not have the bandwidth to review so much code (kernel, compilers,
assembler,
compiler libraries, apps and their libraries). Add to all this, JAVA and
all of it's
components and variants. The volume is just to damned huge.

Sometimes, "certain interests" insert into the distribution "malcode"
without
any peer review; and if there is peer review, then the "nay saying"
reviewers
are either dissed, called names or simply censored, so no ones knows about
their objections. With the passage of time, the malcode is fully established
and propagated and forgotten about.

A friend of mine said "In the Kali Yuga (The Age of Darkness), all hell
breaks loose
upon the earth)".