IPv6 prefix delegation over a freebsd router that sits between internet router and local network

Matthias Fechner idefix at fechner.net
Wed Jul 8 18:38:23 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I have a problem with IPv6 configuration and I'm not sure if it is even
possible.
I'm using an internet connection from mnet (a German internet provider).

The fritzbox 7490 will get an /56 IPv6 prefix that changes every 24 hours.

Behind the fritzbox I have a FreeBSD router with two network interfaces.

Internet

Fritzbox 7490 internet interface
Fritzbox 7490 local interface

Freebsd interface re0
Freebsd interface em0

Internal lan

The network interface in the fritzbox is configured to forward the prefix.
If I check the interfaces the re0 (interface to fritzbox) is getting an
ipv6 address and I can ping6 from the freebsd machine without problems.

But if I try to to ping from a computer in "Internal lan" it fails.
The internal pc resolves the hostname to ipv6 adress but the freebsd
machine shows in /var/log/messages:
Jul  8 20:33:01 server kernel: cannot forward src
fe80:1::88d:dbdc:2c49:ac3a, dst <target-ipv6-address-i-ping>, nxt 58,
rcvif em0, outif re0

So I think I have to forward the delegated prefix to the internal network.
Could maybe anyone point me into the right direction what I have to
configure/read to continue with the setup?

Thanks
Matthias

Rich Cook