own kernel vs. update

Mark Felder feld at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 7 16:20:37 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015, at 10:21, Lev wrote:
> So, I built my own kernel to have OSS4 support. Then I updated the base
> system to p14, and I saw that the kernel and zfs.ko and ufs.ko is
> overwritten in /boot/kernel.
>
> Is this okay? How can I prevent upgrades to overwrite my own kernel?
>
> Sahll I recompile my kernel? If the source is not updated, why the
> binary modules?
>
> Thanks,
> Levente

When I do this I like to install my kernel to a custom directory

make installkernel KERNCONF=whatever KODIR=/boot/foo

Now the kernel goes into /boot/foo

You can ensure the system uses this kernel at boot by putting
kernel="foo" in /boot/loader.conf

You can also put kernels="foo,bar,baz" in loader.conf if you want the
boot menu to have those kernels listed as options.