best way to debug kernel panic on remote machine

jd1008 jd1008 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 16:58:54 UTC 2015

On 07/06/2015 10:10 AM, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a system on a hosting provider and it panics. Any ideas how
> to debug this without asking the provider to install serial cables?
> I am thinking of reproducing the panic locally but there might be
> an easier way.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Nikos
> _______
Hi Nikos.
Been there done that.
Only way to debug a kernel panic on a remote machine
is to first make sure that the remote machine's kernel
is built to save the coredump and the krenel file copy
into a crashdump directory.
In addition, it would also require that the kernel be built
with full debug enabled, and it symbols NOT STRIPPED!!!

This way, the crashdump analyzer program will be able to show you
the source lines of code.