portmaster -af fails due to dead port - HELP

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 14:59:22 UTC 2015

William F. Dudley Jr. writes:

> this is so much more complicated than updating packages on Linux,
> where it's absolutely trivial.

Statements like this drive me nuts. By your own admission, you're 100%
ignorant of what's going on and what you're doing. So by what standard
are you juding this to be "more complicated?" It's a foolish and
inflammatory statement that achieves nothing. It's also vapid: a pianist
who's never tried learning to play a saxaphone may as well say playing
saxaphone is "more complicated."

> Is there a *simple* way to just replace all the ports I've built with
> the packaged equivalents?

1) Update to whatever FreeBSD version you're trying to update to

2) $ portmaster --list-origins > portlist

  2a) Read over that list to ensure everything's there, and to remove
  build-time dependencies you don't want explicitly installed

3) $ pkg delete -a

4) $ pkg install `cat portlist` (note backticks)

5) $ pkg autoremove

Since (as one of your reported error messages makes clear) you haven't
updated your ports in a long time and had at least one port installed
that no longer exists in the ports tree/package repository, it would be
wise to presume there may be others. Also, since you've already deleted
a port or two (which may be the cause of the error you're getting with
the TCL package), you're going to have to go back over this thread to
remind yourself what needs to be reinstalled.

In the future, you might consider working with the people from whom you
expect help rather than throwing a fit and disparaging their hard work.

   		      :: Brandon Wandersee ::
                  :: brandon.wandersee at gmail.com ::