Mix'n'match between packages an ports?

Brandon J. Wandersee brandon.wandersee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 15:10:26 UTC 2015

Mike Clarke writes:

> It's important that you keep your ports tree in step with the FreeBSD
> repositories and, as has already been said, it can be a bit more
> complicated now that the packages aren't built on a fixed schedule. The
> solution is to use Reed Cartwright's sync-ports script
> <https://gist.github.com/reedacartwright/8622973baf89b263a6d7>. This
> will obtain revision information from the relevant build server and use
> svnlite to update your ports tree to match the same version.

First, thanks for the tip. I've been wondering how to sync my ports tree
revision to that used for the package repository for a bit, for
precisely this purpose.

Second, I notice the script only covers versions up to 10.1. It fails
for 10-STABLE, which is currently labeled as 10.2-PRERELEASE. I'm
guessing that at present 10-STABLE still uses the same package repo as
10.1-RELEASE, but how would I determine that? I don't want to update the
script and break something because I overlooked some basic precaution. Thanks.

   		      :: Brandon Wandersee ::
                  :: brandon.wandersee at gmail.com ::