mysql dependencies, but I have mariadb

Graham Allan allan at physics.umn.edu
Thu Jan 29 20:15:40 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 11:45:59AM -0800, David Benfell wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2015 at 09:52:02AM -0600, Graham Allan wrote:
> > I don't have any definitive answer for you but I *believe* you want to
> > set something like:
> >
> > USE_MYSQL_VER=55m
> >
> > where the "m" signifies to use the mariadb variant...
>
> Oh, how embarassing. The line was sitting right there in my
> /etc/make.conf. I didn't notice it. Apparently, what I want is:
>
> WANT_MYSQL_VER=55m    # 55m for MariaDB, 55p for Percona

Just to throw in a third variant I checked our tinderbox env, and what I
actually have there is:

WITH_MYSQL_VER=55m

which did work correctly last time I built everything. Now I find my
tinderbox notes, they say something to the effect "USE_*, WANT_*, and
HAVE_* macros must NEVER be passed in make.conf, in the environment, or
on the make command line." I wish I could give you a reference for that;
I'm pretty sure I didn't make it up :-)

Oh, there's some reference to this in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk:

# Note: the distinction between the USE_* and WANT_* variables, and the
# WITH_* and WITHOUT_* variables, are that the former are restricted to
# usage inside the ports framework, and the latter are reserved for user-
# settable options.  (Setting USE_* in /etc/make.conf is always wrong).

and also some useful bits in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.database.mk

Glad I found that again, I'd forgotten why we did it this way!

Graham