Is QEMU working/reliable under ....

CyberLeo Kitsana cyberleo at cyberleo.net
Wed Jan 28 15:06:59 UTC 2015

On 01/28/2015 08:19 AM, William A. Mahaffey III wrote:
> On 01/28/15 01:14, Roland Smith wrote:

>>> OK, I have qemu-devel compiled & installed, kqemu unloaded from the
>>> kernel, & (hopefully) a build of a VM underway, command-line: qemu
>>> -cdrom ../../../ISOs/winxp.iso -hda HDD.img -m 256 -boot d -cpu athlon
>>> -vga std  -nographic -no-acpi -localtime, w/ qemu softlinked to
>>> qemu-system-x86_64 in /usr/local/bin. How long is this expected to take
>>> :-) ? TIA & thx for everything so far ....
>> If you are using a 64-bit build of XP the GUI should come up pretty fast.
>> Installing XP will seem to take ages. :-) Trying to run a 32-bit XP on a
>> 64-bit emulator won't work at all, IIRC. I think it won't even boot.
>>
>> Depending on which windows programs you need to run, there is a pre-built
>> 32-bit Wine for AMD64 available in ports. That might run them faster
>> because
>> it's not a VM.
>>
>> Roland
>
> Hmmmmm .... OK, I was/am using 32-bit WinXP, maybe that's part of the
> problem. I eventually killed this process after 5+ hrs w/ no visible
> progress & tried again w/ qemu-system-i386 & the rest of the command
> line args, still (apparently) nogo, killed it after about 1 hr., no
> visible progress. I never saw *any* GUI pop up in either case.

What, precisely, are you expecting to witness while running the Windows
XP install ISO? To my knowledge, it does not support anything but GUI
installation, and it looks like you have turned off graphics output
using the -nographic flag.

> I'm a bit
> confused here, I thought the qemu executable needed to match the host as
> much as possible, that's why I tried the x86_64 qemu 1st.

The qemu executable you use is the one you want the guest to emulate,
not the one that matches your host. qemu-system-x86_64 will emulate a
64-bit Intel/AMD system; qemu-system-i386 will emulate a 32-bit
Intel/AMD system; qemu-system-mips will emulate a MIPS-architecture
system. All will run on the host upon which they were built.

--
Fuzzy love,
-CyberLeo

Furry Peace! - http://www.fur.com/peace/