frequency of pkg updates

William A. Mahaffey III wam at hiwaay.net
Wed Jan 21 21:41:32 UTC 2015

On 01/21/15 15:33, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On 2015/01/21 19:17, David Newman wrote:
>> How often is the FreeBSD pkg repository updated?
>>
>> Asking because 'sudo pkg audit' sometimes shows vulnerabilities in one
>> or more packages, yet 'sudo pkg update && sudo pkg upgrade -f <pkg
>> name>' offers only to reinstall the vulnerable version.
>>
>> An updated pkg can take days to show up. The ports tree is updated much
>> faster, but I'm trying to move to pkg where possible. (Yes, I know I
>> could run poudriere and create a pkg repository, but I'm asking here
>> about FreeBSD's pkg system.)
>>
>> This is on 10.1-RELEASE-p4 amd64.
> Packages are built weekly from a snapshot of the ports taken on a
> Wednesday at (I think) 01:00 UTC.  It's definitely some time on
> Wednesday though.  The package builders then build all of the packages
> for all the supported release branches + HEAD, which takes until some
> time the following weekend.
>
> Thus if a package of interest to you updates on a Thursday, it can be
> about 10 days before an updated package is available from the repos.
>
> More hardware is being procured to cut down the time it takes to build
> packages, so the update frequency should improve.
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew

Hmmmm .... So the individual pkg's are actually built by .... who ? The
pkg maintainer ? A central coordinating body ? Somebody/Something else ?
Inquiring minds wanna know .... They might also be interested in
contributing hardware if that would noticeably speed things up ;-) ....

--

	William A. Mahaffey III