Dump/Restore for system migration

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 21 07:37:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 06:41:40PM -0800, Chris Maness wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 11:03 AM, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
> > > Is there a way to
> > > check the deltas between systems manually after migration to see if any
> > > files need to be merged or copied.  I would imagine the files that are in
> > > jeopardy are ones that are being written to while the dump is taking
> > > place.  I had a file the keeps track of rss feeds end up missing on the
> > > target system.
> >
> > For copying files between running systems, I tend to use rsync(1).
> > If anything was being modified during the first run, a second run will
> > usually
> > fix it.
>
> Awesome, Roland.  That is perfect.  That would definitely get all of the
> missed files.  However, I have never been able to setup a direct login with
> root.  I think I would need that to use rsync as root.

You can do two things;

1) Set “rsyncd_enable="Yes"” in /etc/rc.conf, to make rsyncd start
   automatically.
2) Log in as a normal user. (This user should be in the “wheel” group.),
   use “su” to become root and then run “service rsyncd onestart”.

Since I don't want rsyncd running when I don't need it, I prefer to use the
second method.

Direct root logins are generally disabled and frowned upon for security
reasons.

Roland
--
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)